House Of Random

Thursday, December 08, 2005


Oooooh

Shiny!

I hate iPod. Everyone who knows me knows that. I hate the litigious Apple, and their style over performance, style over customer service, style over reliability, style over *everything* attitude. I hate so many things about iPod, iTunes, QuickTime, etc. But I won't go on and on, that's been done already. In fact, I do like these guys and what they do, so go support them.

AAARGH... The battery life. The screen. The SHIT SHIT interface - it's slow, it crashes, it's full of bugs. The fact that the USB doesn;t charge but draws power from the player itself - the fact that they come with no accessories, and the accessories put together cost more than the unit - and they used to be free!

Thing is though, what is going to beat the iPod? Maybe it's said shiny thing. Maybe it's the new iRiver U10. Maybe nothing. But I hope someone does soon because I seeth with my dislike for iPods. And what's worse is the people who love them, because they are blinded by the prettiness and don't realise what they are buying into... DRM is dangerous... Apple are evil and their services will tie you into them forever.

Just consider that anything you buy through iTunes you don't own. If you buy another device you can't use Apple stuff on it. If your computer crashes or iTunes decides that you're not licenced beacuse their software is shit and crashes you lose your music. You're just renting it. From Apple, who don't care about you, at all. They don't care if your device breaks. They don't care about anything but profits. I could go on...

Anyway, rant over.

Oh, and for those that don't know... I own an iPod. That's why I am justified in hating it.

2 Comments:

  • Get in!

    Finally! About bloody time someone else had a rant about this too. I was nearly convinced into buying an iPod before reading up about what you could - and more importantly couldn't - do on it.

    I've now got an iRiver H340. It's slow to start up, slower than an iPod at navigating, the controls aren't massively intuitive and it's clunkier than the iPod.

    But you know what? I love it. Why? Well, let's start with the obvious:

    It's got no F****NG MANDATORY DRM on it.

    It allows me to put whatever I want onto it, from any USB-compliant device, without any custom software required. Same for taking stuff off it. It acts as a standard, external USB2 HDD. Anything put on the iRiver can be seen by the iRiver. Simple. No hiding of files, prevention of downloading more than 4.3922 times or on Tuesdays when it's raining or any of that crap.

    I'm in control of it.
    It's my device.
    Storing my music/video/files.
    And it's happy with that.


    (It's also happy playing MP3, OGG, WMA and WAV. It's 40GB in size, has an FM radio (which it can record from), voice recording and, oh yeah, can act as a USB *host* for any USB cameras you might want to copy the contents from. So basically: UP YOUR FACE APPLE, I'm happy with this.)

    What was that about ranting?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Tuesday, December 13, 2005  

  • I'm gonna join in too!

    DRM is the bane of my life. I gave Sony another chance. I bought one of their new Hi-MD Minidisc players, despite everyone saying Ipods etc are the way forward.

    And how do they repay me? By putting stupid, pointless DRM bits in it. For example, once you copy ONCE from MD to computer or vice versa, you cannot edit either of the tracks at all. No splitting, joining or anything. What is the F***ING point of that.

    Apparently there is software to get around this. But I have neither the time nor the inclination to go rooting around for it. I shouldn't have to.

    Sometimes I think the music industry treats its customers more like enemies than friends. Anything to protect the rip off racket they have been happily feeding off for years.

    By Blogger Dave, at Thursday, December 15, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Words, thoughts, dreams & ideas, dirtySi, London, UK, from the year 2005 onward